posted by Custom Coatings, Inc. on October 12th, 2020
Cost To Paint The Exterior Of A House Using Expert Painters
Find Out How Much You May Have To Invest To Paint Your Catawba County Home’s Exterior
The paint on house exteriors knows how to take a beating.
It has to stand up to rain, humidity, heat, UV rays, snow, hail, and all kinds of damaging weather. This paint has to deal with all this while protecting your home from that very weather.
It’s no wonder home exteriors need painting more often than other areas of the home.
As professional painters, people often ask us how much it costs to paint the exterior of a house. It’s always a different answer because each project is different.
Here are some estimated price ranges. You’ll at least have an idea of how much you may need to invest in painting your home exterior.
The Cost To Paint A House Exterior
The cost to paint a house exterior usually ranges from $5,000 to $25,000 and up. The average cost for exterior house painting is about $6,500. It depends on factors such as size, material quality, siding, and condition of the paint and siding.
More Specific Exterior Painting Costs
The following numbers are not fixed. They can change based on the factors that come in the section below this one.
The cost to paint smaller houses is usually between $3,000 and $5,000. For average-size houses the cost can be $5,000 to $7,500. Larger houses go up from there but usually start around $10,000.
The cost breaks down as follows:
- Cleaning: about $450 to $900 and higher
- Materials: somewhere around 20% of the total job
- Equipment: we build the cost of our equipment into labor, sundry, insurance, van, etc.
- Labor: about 80% of the total job
Reasons Why The Cost Ranges
- Size. Larger homes need more materials, time, and often people to paint them.
- Material quality. Better paint looks better and lasts longer, but it does cost more upfront.
- Siding type. Wood, vinyl, aluminum, and other siding types can require different paint and painting processes. Some are harder to work with than others.
- Paint condition. If the paint is peeling it needs scraping, sanding, and priming before painting. This takes more materials, labor, and time. Otherwise, it’ll look bad and start peeling again pretty quickly.
- Siding condition. Any damages need repairing or it’ll get worse and then your paint and your house could be in trouble.
You May Also Like To Read
These numbers are range estimates. Your project is unique to you and your home so the cost to paint the exterior of your house may end up outside of that range.