posted by Custom Coatings, Inc. on September 9th, 2011
is custom coatings a licensed contractor?
People often ask our experts at Custom Coatings whether or not Custom Coatings is a licensed contractor. That’s a very good question to ask, and the answer is yes.
The state of North Carolina does not have a requirement for contractors to be licensed. However, many of the cities where our clients reside do have requirements for “privilege licenses”. Those who practice good business will ensure that they comply with the requirements of those cities.
Hiring a licensed contractor generally assures the following:
- The contractor has demonstrated knowledge of their industry via written exam.
- The contractor has the training and experience necessary to obtain a contractor’s license.
- A criminal background check has been performed on the contractor and they have been found worthy of holding a contractor’s license.
- The contractor has liability insurance and pays workman’s compensation for their employees if they have any.
- The contractor is able to obtain and sign building permits.
Remember, hiring an unlicensed contractor is often against the law, and doing so may prevent you from recovering the cost of any damages that occur to your property. Contractor licenses exist to protect consumers so make sure to hire only licensed contractors.
In addition to making sure your contractor is licensed, we also strongly advise that you verify that they are fully insured. The two types of insurance all contractors should have are Workman’s Compensation Insurance and General Liability Insurance.
Hiring an uninsured contractor could leave you, the homeowner, vulnerable to a lawsuit in the case of an accident or contractor injury while on your job. Homeowner’s insurance policies generally do not cover this type of situation.
Our experts at Custom Coatings are fully insured and licensed, and we would look forward to working with you. Just call us at 828-326-0953 and let us help you with your next paint job.